Monday, May 5, 2008

Beautiful BALI!

Definition of Kecak Dance from wikipedia.org

Kecak, a form of Balinese music drama, originated in the 1930s and is performed primarily by men. Also known as the Ramayana Monkey Chant, the piece, performed by a circle of 100 or more performers wearing checked cloth around their waists, percussively chanting "cak" and throwing up their arms, depicts a battle from the Ramayana where the monkey-like Vanara helped Prince Ravana fight the evil King Ravana. However, Kecak has roots in sanghyang, a trance-inducing exorcism dance.

I watched the Kecak Dance at the Uluvatu Temple which is also known as the Monkey Temple. Located just about half an hour drive from Kuta town, passing through an arid and yet heavily habitable piece of land making me appreciate how people will do anything for survival.

Monkeys are everywhere in this temple and the Balinese people believe that they are a reincarnation of Prince Ravana, one of their revered Gods. The monkeys are a constant pests in this temple and I believe "they" are trained by local guides to harass visitors. One of the monkeys took me by surprise by climbing from my back and took my spectacles and I have to pay 5 thousands rupiah to one of the local guide for the monkey to "return" it back to me. Other visitors had even bad experience when his spectacles were grabbed by the monkeys and it throw it to the cliffs.

This is where the Kecak dance will be carry out at 1800 hours sharp.

No comments: